
So I need to go buy a lottery ticket. I know people, even old people (by old I mean older than me) that have never gotten a jury summons. I swear they are indeed registered to vote. Well, it seems to be an annual occurrence for me. The first year was just after the Mr. and I were married, and I was summoned under my maiden name. I was quite excited, and really hoped to be picked for the jury as it was kinda an interesting trial. I was sent home with my tail between my legs. The next year, almost to the day, I was summoned again under my married name. Well, since I had already reported within the previous 2 years, I didn't have to attend. As a backup, I even provided the documentation that I was a caregiver, very much in need by my client. Well this year, right on schedule, I received my 3rd annual summons. I deferred it because I was working a much needed temp job with a pretty pay check attached to it. Well a couple weeks ago, I received a notice that said "you have been selected as a potential grand juror" GRAND JUROR?!? YOU MEAN LIKE RAPE AND MURDER CASES? probably not. But nevertheless more serious cases than "I'm suing my neighbor for running over my cat" So, tomorrow morning when its too early to function, yours truly will be sitting in a courtroom waiting to hear her "sentence" for the next two months. If chosen I either have to report every wed. for 2 months or every other Thurs. for two months. And if not chosen, I still have to stick around in case they have not disrupted enough lives for the normal trial tomorrow. I guess I should count my blessings that this didn't come at a more inconvenient time. I'm not working, and $10 a day is better than $0 a day, and I'm going to school online. But, I keep having dreams that its one of those high profile cases where the jurors have to be isolated in a hotel for two months so that their verdict is not influenced by the public. Or where the jurors basically have to go in the witness protection program because the dude they sent to jail busted out and goes after those that put him in there. I'm too young to be on somebody's hit list! Ok, so I watch way to much Law and Order. But on the bright side, isn't it longer than 2 years that they can call me in again for doing the grand jury? That doesn't stop the annual invitation though, weather I serve or not. AND since my birthday is on a national holiday (see previous post) I will not have to serve on my birthday! Well, its not on a Wednesday or a Thursday anyway, but stil!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment